- Trick Attack's use will not remove any type of Invisible.
- When activated, all enmity accrued from the user's next strike will be transferred to the party or alliance member the attack is initiated behind.
- The game is very strict in the definition of "behind a party member", as this ability will only work if both players and the target stand in a straight line. When doing Trick Attack & Sneak Attack together (aka: SATA or Fuidama), being lined up exactly behind your trick partner is more important than being perfectly behind the mob.
- When active, the user's next strike may still miss and is not guaranteed to be critical.
- This ability is very synergetic with Sneak Attack, as it is most effective when both abilities are active simultaneously. This being true always as a support job, and true until Lv 60 when the Thief job attains the Assassin trait.
- When used in conjunction with the Assassin trait, the user's next strike has added damage, is guaranteed to be critical and cannot miss, similar to a Thief's Sneak Attack.
- Lasts for one minute or until an attack is made.
- If this ability is used by a player with Thief set as their main job, the next strike (not subsequent attacks such as in a multi hit weapon skill) will also receive a large boost in damage based on user's AGI. Weapon base damage will increase by 1 for every point of AGI the player has.
- The AGI-based damage increase for Thief is determined when the hit connects, not when the job ability is used.
- If this ability is used by a character with Thief as a support job, the next strike will not receive any boost in damage whatsoever, only transfer the attack's enmity.
- Unlike Sneak Attack, when used in conjunction with a weapon skill, this ability will transfer hate for all hits of a multi-hit weapon skill.
- If this ability is used while dual-wielding, both hits are guaranteed to hit, but only the first hit will deal critical damage. If Double Attack and/or Triple Attack activate, these hits are guaranteed as well. (This only applies when the Assassin trait becomes available to Thief at Lv 60)
- When used without a weapon skill, it will bypass Blink and Utsusemi, but will not remove shadows from these hits. When used with a multi-hit weapon skill, only the first hit will bypass, all other hits can be absorbed by shadows. (This only applies when the Assassin trait becomes available)
- If you Counter and attack, and are behind another party member, your hit will deal additional damage as if you had attacked normally. This will not use up the Trick Attack effect, and you can attack again for added damage.
- This ability only works with physical attacks, will not work with ranged attacks nor magic-based weapon skills.
- Usage of a ranged attack while this ability is active does not cause Trick Attack to wear off.
- This ability is often abbreviated as "TA".
- Some Japanese players may abbreviate this ability as "dama" (騙). "Dama" is the Japanese word for deceive, and is an abbreviation of the Japanese word for Trick attack, だまし討ち)
- When combined with Sneak Attack, some Japanese players may use the abbreviation "fuidama" (不意騙) a combination of "fui" (不意, surprise, from the Japanese word for Sneak attack, 不意打ち) and "dama" (騙).
- Can be used behind a party member on a Chocobo but the person on the Chocobo will not gain hate.
- Can be used behind your Adventuring Fellow, and acts the same as it would on a Party Member.
- /ja "Trick Attack" <me>
- It is sometimes convenient to macro Trick Attack with Sneak Attack together, for example:
- /ja "Trick Attack" <me>
- /wait 1
- /ja "Sneak Attack" <me>
- /wait 1
- /ws "Viper Bite" <t>