- When activated, ensures user's next physical melee attack will hit and strike for a critical hit as long as the attack comes from behind the enemy.
- This ability will work from any direction if Hide is active. See Hide for more details.
- If this ability is used by a Thief, the next strike will also receive a bonus of 1 base weapon damage for every point of DEX the player has when the attack hits.
- The effect wears off after 1 minute, or after the next attack on the enemy.
- Sneak Attack works with the following types of attacks:
- Standard physical melee attacks (non-Ranged)
- If the attack comprises of multiple hits, only the first hit is ensured to be a critical hit and receive the DEX bonus from THF main, but 100% accuracy is applied to all of the hits. (100% accuracy is not applied to all hits of a multi-hit WS)
- Use of a ranged attack while this ability is active does not cause it to wear off.
- Some physical Weapon Skills (see below)
- Only the first hit of multi-hit weapon skills will be enhanced.
- Sneak Attack stacked with a weapon skill guarantees the first hit and any off-hand hit of the weapon skill will land with 100% accuracy, but not including any Double Attacks and/or Triple Attacks that occur during the weapon skill. Any hits of a multihit weapon skill after the first are not guaranteed either, and are subject to normal accuracy. Guaranteed hits can still be absorbed by Utsusemi if part of a WS (see below).
- Single-target physical Blue Magic (such as Frenetic Rip, but not Frypan)
- When using Sneak Attack with Blue Magic, the player must be facing the proper direction, and not just be positioned correctly, for Sneak Attack to take effect.
- In forms of Conflict (PvP) only, Sneak Attack adds accuracy to Steal and Mug when used from behind (or from any direction with Hide active) to steal Petras. (In Conflict, Sneak Attack is consumed upon use of either of these abilities.)
- When used without a weapon skill, the associated attack will bypass Blink and Utsusemi, but will not consume shadows. All other hits in the same attack round as the SA will also connect (with 100% accuracy) without consuming the target's shadows.
- This ability is often abbreviated as "SA".
- When combined with Trick Attack, "SATA" is used.
- When combined with Chain Affinity and/or Trick Attack, "CASA," "SACA," "CASATA, or "SATACA" is used.
- Some Japanese players may abbreviate this ability as "fui" (不意). "Fui" is the Japanese word for sudden, abrubt, unexpected, unforeseen, or surprise.
- When combined with Trick Attack, some Japanese players may use the abbreviation "fuidama," a combination of "fui" and "dama" (不意 + 騙)(deceive).
The following weapon skills work with "Sneak Attack":
- H2H: Combo, Shoulder Tackle, One Inch Punch, Raging Fists, Spinning Attack, Howling Fist, Dragon Kick, Asuran Fists.
- Dagger: Wasp Sting, Shadowstitch, Viper Bite, Dancing Edge, Shark Bite, Evisceration, Mercy Stroke, Mandalic Stab.
- Sword: Fast Blade, Flat Blade, Circle Blade, Vorpal Blade, Swift Blade, Savage Blade, Death Blossom.
- Great Sword: Hard Slash, Power Slash, Shockwave, Crescent Moon, Sickle Moon, Spinning Slash, Ground Strike.
- Club: Brainshaker, Skullbreaker, True Strike, Judgment, Hexa Strike, Black Halo, Mystic Boon.
- Staff: Heavy Swing, Shell Crusher, Full Swing, Spirit Taker, Retribution.
- Axe: Raging Axe, Smash Axe, Gale Axe, Avalanche Axe, Spinning Axe, Rampage, Calamity, Mistral Axe, Decimation.
- Great Axe: Shield Break, Iron Tempest, Sturmwind, Armor Break, Keen Edge, Weapon Break, Raging Rush, Full Break, Steel Cyclone.
- Scythe: Slice, Spinning Scythe, Vorpal Scythe, Guillotine, Cross Reaper, Spiral Hell.
- Polearm: Double Thrust, Leg Sweep, Penta Thrust, Vorpal Thrust, Skewer, Wheeling Thrust, Impulse Drive, Drakesbane.
- Katana: Blade: Rin, Blade: Retsu, Blade: Jin, Blade: Ten, Blade: Ku
- Great Katana: Tachi: Enpi, Tachi: Kagero, Tachi: Jinpu, Tachi: Yukikaze, Tachi: Gekko, Tachi: Kasha.
- /ja "Sneak Attack" <me>
- Some people like to macro Sneak Attack with a weapon skill:
- /ja "Sneak Attack" <me>
- /wait 1
- /ws "Viper Bite" <t>