NOTE: You cannot begin this quest if you already have another quest involving the Weapon Training Guide active.
- Talk to Cid in Metalworks to receive the Gun of Trials and a Weapon Training Guide.
- Use the Gun of Trials until the latent effect disappears.
- You must accumulate 300 total Weapon Skill Points by performing Weapon Skills on experience-yielding monsters. You cannot earn points by participating in Campaign Battles or Besieged, because those monsters do not directly grant experience points.
- The Weapon Skills must be performed by this particular gun; using a melee Weapon Skill with this gun merely equipped does not count.
- Weapon Skills performed while under Level Sync count.
- You receive 1 point for opening/soloing a weapon skill, 2 points for closing a Lv.1 Skillchain, 3 points for closing a Lv.2 Skillchain and 5 points for closing a level 3 skillchain.
- No message is given when the latent effect is lost. To check if the latent effect has disappeared, simply check if you have the bonus stats; if not, you are done. It is not necessary to unequip the gun for the latent effect to disappear; the stats disappear immediately upon acquiring the 300th WS point.
- Note your Elemental Resistance bonuses from the weapon: they will be gone if the latent is broken.
- Once you no longer receive the latent effect bonus, head back to Metalworks and trade the Gun of Trials to Cid, who takes the weapon from you and gives you a Map to the Annals of Truth and instructions to head to the Boyahda Tree.
- Once in the Boyahda Tree, go to Map 3 (J-8) and click the ??? to spawn the NM named Beet Leafhopper.
- Once the NM is dead, reexamine the ??? to obtain the Annals of Truth.
- Return to Cid for your reward.
- Cid (Cid's Lab, Metalworks)
- Cid would like you to assist him in testing a new firearm. Return to the lab when the weapon no longer functions properly.