Recast Time is the amount of time a player must wait before casting the same spell, or using the same job ability (or ability within the same category) again.
The Calculation (Simplified)
- Note: This process is technically a slight simplification due to how FFXI stores numbers. Its fractions can come out a tiny bit lower than the numbers we'd see here. This way of doing it is accurate in most cases and easier to follow. For complete details see BG Wiki's full calulation.
Spell recast is calculated by taking a spell's Recast Time and multiplying it by three different terms in any order. The three terms are:
- 1 - (Equipment Haste + Magic Haste - Magic Slow) / 100
- 1 - (Combined total Fast Cast / 2, result rounded down) / 100
- 1 - Job Abilities spell recast reduction / 100
- Math reminder: division is done before subtraction.
The result after these three multiplications is then rounded down to the nearest whole number (AKA floored). In other words a result of 10.998 would be rounded down to 10.
Stun has a Recast Time of 45 seconds. A player with 25% Gear Haste, 30% Magic Haste, 55% Fast Cast and 10% JA recast reduction would progress through the equation as follows:
- 45 seconds * (1 - (25 Gear Haste + 30 Magic Haste - 0 Magic Slow) / 100) * (1 - (55 Fast Cast / 2, result rounded down) / 100) * (1 - (10 Job Ability) / 100)
- 45 * (1 - 55 / 100) * (1 - 27 / 100) * (1 - 10 / 100)
- 45 * (1 - 0.55) * (1 - 0.27) * (1 - 0.1)
- 45 * 0.45 * 0.73 * 0.9 = 13.30425
After rounding down you are left with a 13 second recast time.
- Fast Cast has an effective cap of 80%, meaning that 40% reduction (or x0.6) is the best that it can do for recast.
- Recast reduction caps at 80% of the original casting time.