Some Notorious Monsters appear in the game by taking the place of another monster after a certain amount of time has passed - this behavior is referred to as a Morph Spawn. When this occurs, the existing monster will disappear and the new monster will appear in exactly the same place.
The monster that the new monster replaces is called a "placeholder" - a term borrowed from Lottery Spawn monsters. However, unlike Lottery Spawn monsters, the placeholder of a Morph Spawn monster must be left alone in order for the monster to spawn. Because of this, Morph Spawn monsters tend to be much rarer than Lottery or Timed monsters, as players may unknowingly kill the placeholders and cause the spawn timer to reset.
The amount of time needed for the monster to morph works in a similar way to Timed Spawn monsters - there is usually a minimum spawn time, followed by a "spawn window" of a couple hours. Killing or otherwise despawning the placeholder will reset this timer, as will server maintenance.
Known Morph Spawn Monsters
- Colorful Leshy - Morphs from a Leshy.
- Defoliate Leshy - Morphs from Colorful Leshy.
- Rose Garden - Morphs from an Overgrown Rose.
- Voluptuous Vilma - Morphs from Rose Garden.
- Noble Mold - Morphs from a Myxomycete (only during rainy weather).
- Taisaijin - Morphs from a Taisai.