|This article is only a guide. Information expressed in a guide is usually more opinion than fact and should be taken as such. Guides are written by players, based upon their experiences, successes and mistakes, and are meant to aid other players. However, there may be differing opinions than those expressed in a guide. |
Strategies and information in guides may not work for everyone.
- 1 Disclaimer
- 2 What is Moblin Maze Mongers?
- 3 How Do I Get Started?
- 4 Useful Places of Information
- 5 The Three Mazes!
- 5.1 EXP/Marble Maze
- 5.2 The Synthing Maze
- 5.3 The Notorious Monster Maze
- 6 Credits
This guide was written before the first update for the Moblin Maze Mongers system, some of the information in this guide may be old and out dated. Feel free to update it with the correct information if you feel so inclined to.
What is Moblin Maze Mongers?
Some might say it is a new leveling tool that has been introduced. Others might say it is a place to go when you want to do some synthesizing. And yet others will tell you that it is the place to go to fight unique Notorious Monsters.
To put it plainly, it is an area of the game where you can go visit user-created dungeons.
How Do I Get Started?
First you need to have the expansion "Wings of the Goddess", Then you simply head on down to Lower Jeuno, enter Muckvix's Junkshop, talk to Goldagrik with 4 open inventory spots, and answer his devious question.
Here you can select which voucher you would like to modify. The vouchers you have to choose from are Maze Voucher 01 through Maze Voucher 07. At this point you should only have one Voucher, Maze Voucher 01, so go ahead and select that one.
This will bring you to your Voucher Window, where you can modify your Voucher with Runes that you have collected from the Hoardbox which is found at the end of the mazes or bought with Marbles which are obtained from completing mazes and opening up the Hoardbox at the end of the maze, from Chatnachoq over in Muchvix's Junkshop. Select the Rune you would like to place in your maze and move it around the board to try and find a good spot for it. You can rotate the Rune using the "Menu" button to help find a good spot for your Rune.
Once you are done configuring your Maze Tabula head on down to the Chocobo Stables in Lower Jeuno and find the Maze Mongers Shopfront in the back corner. There you may trade your Maze Tabula M01 to the Maze Mongers Shopfront. When you do the Maze Tabula Window will pop up showing the Maze Voucher and Runes that are configured on your Maze Tabula. This is to confirm that you are trading that specific Maze Setup to the Maze Mongers Shopfront. Next, you will be asked to pay a 100 gil fee to start your Maze (those crafty Moblin entrepreneurs). Hit yes and your maze will go through authorization and within moments you will be teleported inside your Maze.
Useful Places of Information
This guide assumes that you have some basic knowledge of the Moblin Maze Mongers system. Even if you don't it tries its best to make anyone understand what it is trying to talk about here. Here are some places that you can go to help familiarize yourself with thing related to Moblin Maze Mongers.
The Three Mazes!
There are 3 types of Mazes that you can run in Moblin Maze Mongers.
The EXP/Marble Maze: These are mazes that have been designed for you to gain experience from the monsters inside. Once you have defeated all the monsters you are awarded with even more experience. In a slightly different but similar fashion you can also gear this maze to be a simple "Monster Whack-A-Mole" and race through the mobs to collect Marbles as fast as you can, and at the end you are rewarded with more Marbles than a normal Maze run would warrant. This is also the most common way to collect Runes found only in the Hoardbox at the end of Mazes.
The Synthing Maze: You come here and skill up in your Synthing skills. (To be honest I have never done one of these, so the information I have for this maze is pretty much this link to the Voucher's Page)
The Notorious Monster Maze: Here you customize a fight between your party and a Notorious Monster. How weak or strong it is, is all dependent on how you customize it with your Runes. Here is where all of the Items of Moblin Maze Mongers are found (with the exception of Noble Poulaines and Eyepatch; those are bought from Chatnachoq).
This Maze is made when you are using Maze Voucher 01: Sanitization Team Alpha. The goal of this Maze is to kill every mob in the area within the allotted time. At the end of the Maze you will receive bonus EXP depending on your group's level configuration and Marbles, depending on what Runes you have in your Maze. In addition, you will have a chance to receive other Runes from the Hoardbox. After trading your Maze Tabula to the Maze Mongers Shopfront you will enter the lobby where Packapic, your settings manager, and Rediroq, the guy you go to to start the Maze.
The Experience Points gained from the Hoardbox is based on the level of your party members. For example, if you go in as a group of 3 Level 75 Job Characters and kill everything you will receive a good portion of EXP from the Hoardbox, where as if you went in as a group of 3 Level 75 Job Characters and 1 Level 1 Character, you will receive no experience from the Hoardbox. One easy way to try and figure out if you will receive any Experience Points from the Hoardbox is think if the lowest level party member will get any experience from the monsters in the Maze. If yes, then there is a good chance that EXP will show up. There is a Rune (Maze Rune 108) that will increase the amount of Experience Points that you can receive from the Hoardbox.
The Marbles gained from the Hoardbox is based on what Runes you decided to put in your Maze. Generally the rule of thumb is "If it makes the Maze harder to finish, more often than not you will get more Marbles from that Rune." Because of this the opposite is also in effect, too; if it makes your Maze easier to complete, there is a good chance that you will be losing Marbles because of the Rune. Without adding a single Rune to your Maze upon completion you will receive 8 Marbles. Through adding a series of Runes (which will be addressed later on) you can increase that number up to a currently known maximum of Marbles.
The Runes gained from the Hoardbox are separated into 2 tiers, "The Lost Runes" and "The Found Runes". By default everyone has a chance to get any of "The Found Runes" from the Hoardbox after opening it. It is not until you purchase and set the Maze Rune 094: Lost and Found, from Chatnachoq for 500 Marbles, will you be able to find "The Lost Runes" in your Hoardbox. Setting Maze Rune 094 will just let you find "The Lost Runes", it will not allow you to collect "The Found Runes", hence the name "Lost and Found" is a bit misleading, so by setting this Rune you are opening up new possibilities for you to collect from your Hoardbox.
- If you read the last paragraph, it basically says just that. You use the Lost and Found rune to find the Lost runes. However, if you mean calling the other group something other than Found runes, I'd agree that it would help to make this less misleading. I'd call them Lost Runes and Normal Runes respectively, to help discern the two and to prevent confusion. - Hiachi 15:48, 11 May 2009 (UTC)
The EXP Maze
This is the most underused use of this system. Moblin Maze Mongers can provide you a camp custom tailored to what your party wants to grind on. Thinking of a DRG Burn party? Throw on Birds and Tiny Warriors in and get a bunch of birds for you to rip through. Sick of having parties taking all the good leveling spots that you go to on your BST? Throw whatever Monster Rune (Rune 001-012) that you would like in there and pull out your Jug Pet that is strong Vs. that monster and start BST-ing away! No good Merit camps open? How would you like making around 12k EXP/Limit Points per maze? In only 30 minutes? Sound good? Let's find out how...
There are 3 key Runes you are going to want to make a Maze that is as good if not better than your regular good ol' camp are the Runes:Supreme Might, Might, and Conditioning Contract. Let's break them down.
- Supreme Might: Will increase the difficulty of the monsters in your maze.
- Might: Will also increase the difficulty of the monsters
- Conditioning Contract: The most important of the three, this Rune will double the amount of Experience awarded in the Hoardbox.
From here you can customize your Maze with whatever it is you would like to fight. There usually tends to be fewer of the larger monsters, but the trade off is that they take longer to kill. Now for some math... You will have 30 minutes to kill (on average) 16 monsters, this is going to give you a little less than 2 minutes to kill 1 monster. If this becomes too hard for you I would suggest dropping Might from your roster to give a slight decrease in difficulty. The following will be a list of possible combinations.
Big Boy Burn
This setup will give you the Large Monsters of your Monster Sets, which will decrease the amount of monsters that spawn in your maze. The trade off is that usually those monsters are harder to kill (or at least take longer). I have added the Elemental Rune to that set because this will help out the mages in your group exploit the elemental weaknesses of such creatures, and thus help clear your Maze faster. This set up also gives you 4 open squares left for further customization. Also, with the exception of Conditioning Contract and Supreme Might (and Runes 010-012 should you choose to use those), all of these Runes can be bought from Chatnachoq. Also BEWARE of the Aquan Monster Rune, which will spawn 6-15 Sea Monks!
Mini Man March
We have nothing too different here, but it's important to note you will be fighting more monsters in this setup. There are some benefits to this setup though. The monsters here are generally the "weaker" of the monsters that could spawn from the runes that you set, which will allow you to fight them faster. As a trade off, though, there is the chance that there could be more of these than fighting the "Great Warriors," which also can be a good thing because the more monsters you fight the more experience points/limit points you get by the end of the Maze.
Most Successful EXP Party
This setup can really be used for anyone since the monsters here have no resistances, but one of the two monsters that will spawn will be Magic Pots, which have a 50% weakness to Blunt Damage. As we know a good "WHM Burn" will have 6 WHM/NIN and they will be Dual Wielding and Hexa Striking away like crazy, if you wanted to do one of those this would be a great setup for it. Darkness will make your life easier making them weak to everything you do. The great thing about this maze is that anyone, not just a WHM burn, can do this, and there will only be 10 mobs that spawn. If you find out that you are killing everything here too quickly you can be adventurous and place in Trial By Numbers and Lizard and try killing another set of mobs, though it will only add another 4-6 more.
The Marble Maze
In contrast of the EXP Maze, the Marble Maze is the most used Mazed in Moblin Maze Mongers. The objective of this Maze is to get as many Marbles out of one run of the Maze as you can. The most commonly used tactic for this is to bring someone who is level 1 and have the rest of the people in the group be of higher level. I will now go over all of the Runes used in these Mazes as well as a breakdown of what each Rune does and how they effect you and your Maze.
The 100 Series Runes
These are runes Maze Rune 100, Maze Rune 101, Maze Rune 102, Maze Rune 103, and Maze Rune 104. All of these Runes will place a Challenge on your maze. If you are able to complete this challenge then you will be awarded more Marbles when you open up your Hoardbox at the end of the Maze.
- Maze Rune 100 Trial By Velocity: This Rune will award you between 0-3 Marbles, per group of monsters killed, if you are able to finish the Maze quickly.
- Maze Rune 101 Trial By Budget: This Rune will decrease the amount of time you have to complete your Maze, reducing the maximum amount of time you have in the Maze to 25 minutes. By completing your Maze before the new time limit you will be awarded 1 extra marble
- Maze Rune 102 Trial By Numbers: This Rune will add a third floor to your Maze and also populate your Maze with an additional set of monsters. If you are able to finish your Maze with this Rune set, you will be awarded 3 extra Marbles.
- Maze Rune 103 Amnesiac's Trial: This Rune will set a global debuff on your party, making all who enter the Maze be under the status effect Amnesia. You cannot remove this effect. You may however use any ability before talking to Rediroq and abilities that you are under the effect of will carry over into the Maze (such as Flee or Velocity Shot)
- Maze Rune 104 Trial By Silence: This Rune will set a global debuff on your party, making all who enter the Maze be under the status effect Silence. You cannot remove this effect. You may however use any spells before talking to Rediroq and spell effects you are under will carry over into the Maze (such as Stoneskin or Haste)
The Difficulty Runes
These Runes are Maze Rune 017 Maze Rune 018 Maze Rune 019 Maze Rune 020. These Runes will Increase or Decrease the difficulty of the monsters inside the Mazes. The harder you make the Maze, the more of a reward you will get at the end when opening up your Hoardbox. The reverse goes for making your Maze easier though, it will reduce the reward you get at the end when opening up your Hoardbox.
- Maze Rune 018 Might: This Rune will increase the difficulty of your monsters by one difficulty rank (i.e. from Easy >>> Decent >>> Even >>> Tough >>> Very Tough >>> Incredibly Tough) This will also increase the amount of Marbles gained at the end of the Maze out of your Hoardbox by 1-2 Marbles.
- Maze Rune 017 Supreme Might: This Rune will increase the difficulty of your monsters by at least one difficulty rank (i.e. from Easy Prey >>> Decent Challenge >>> Even Match >>> Tough >>> Very Tough >>> Incredibly Tough) This will also increase the amount of Marbles gained at the end of the Maze out of your Hoardbox by 2-3 Marbles.
- Maze Rune 020 Weakness: This Rune will reduce the difficulty of your monsters by one difficulty rank (i.e. from Incredibly Tough >>> Very Tough >>> Tough >>> Even Match >>> Decent Challenge >> Easy Prey) This will also decrease the amount of Marbles gained at the end of the Maze out of your Hoardbox by 1-2 Marbles.
- Maze Rune 019 Peon: This Rune will reduce the difficulty of your monsters by at least one difficulty rank (i.e. from Incredibly Tough >>> Very Tough >>> Tough >>> Even Match >>> Decent Challenge >> Easy Prey) This will also decrease the amount of Marbles gained at the end of the Maze out of your Hoardbox by 2-3 Marbles.
Max Marbles Maze
The maximum amount of Marbles you can achieve, so far, from one Maze run is 46 Marbles. To get this you must "Set" Runes:
Using the full advantage of all the the Challenge and Difficulty Runes I would advise you to use the "Help a Schmuck" tactic here and have someone go in as a level 1 job and the rest go in built for bears and just blitz through this maze. If done fast enough you will get the full marbles from this maze and it will only take about 2-3 minutes.
L&F Max Marble Maze
The maximum amount of Marbles you can achieve, so far, from one Maze run, that is using the Rune Lost and Found, is Marbles. To get this you must "Set" Runes:
Using the full advantage of all the the Challenge and Difficulty Runes, except for Trial By Numbers, I would advise you to use the "Help a Schmuck" tactic here and have someone go in as a level 1 job and the rest go in built for bears and just blitz through this maze. You will have one less floor to have to go through so you should be able to go through the maze much faster than the the "Max Marble Maze", where the trade off is fewer marbles but a different variety of Runes.
The Synthing Maze
It is possible that you can obtain skill-ups in these mazes, but unfortunately those skill-ups are very rare.
How it's done
Once you get in this maze you will be given an unbreakable Hatchet, Pickaxe, and Sickle, head over to the Moblin Doledriq will ask you to make something for him. Then you go to the Fabricant Idol and you will find out what you need to make that item. From here you have to extract the materials with the tools you were given or you can get some of the materials from monster that roam in the area. Once you have the items give them to Stowastiq, he will hold onto them for you and give the items to the Fabricant Idol when you are ready to have it make the items for you.
- Note: The monsters in the Maze will check Impossible to Gauge, but appear to be around Even Match-ish with not a lot of Hit Points but still hit pretty hard for their level. Sneak and Invisible will allow you to stealth around them. The farther you progress in the Maze the more monsters will spawn. Because of this it is not advised to try and solo this maze, but it very well might be possible. Go on... dare to be epic!
After you are done with Doledriq's request go back to him and he will ask you if you would like to do more or leave. You can stay in the Maze until the time runs out or you have completed all of Doledriq's requests.
The Notorious Monster Maze
So far there is only one type of Maze that you can create to gain items to be used outside of Moblin Maze Mongers. That is this maze here. The following are the rewards that you can get. *Note to get any of these items to drop you must have Maze Rune 094 set to your tabula.*
- Barkborer - Dropped from the NM Iyamoopo.
- Ermine's Tail - Dropped from the NM Purushamriga
- Eventreuse - Currently unknown how to gain.
- Koggelmander - Dropped from the NM Tanihwa
- Onishibari - Currently unknown how to gain.
- Scheherazade - Dropped from the NM Purushamriga *Rumored*
- Zaide - Dropped from the NM Dzoavits --Storytellar 00:46, 24 May 2009 (UTC)Storytellar
- Zonure - Dropped from the NM Tanihwa
- Antica Band - Currently unknown how to gain.
- Antica Ring - Dropped from the NM Atlas Beetle
- Gnole Crown - Dropped from the NM Haferbocks
- Gnole Torque - Dropped from the NM Nimble Nelson
- Lycopodium Earring - Currently unknown how to gain.
- Lycopodium Sash - Dropped from the NM Kerwan
- Mamool Ja Earring - Dropped from the NM Tanihwa
- Mamool Ja Mantle - Currently unknown how to gain.
First, credit where credit is due: this chart has been taken from the Liquidation Team section of the Moblin Maze Mongers Page. I took it because it does a good job of showing all the Notorious Monsters and it is well organized.
That's a lot of guys you can fight... How do you know which ones you want to fight? Let's break it down some more.
The Top Dawgs
These are the guys who have been known to drop the items you want. That does not mean though that the other Notorious Monsters will not drop these items as well or will not drop anything worth getting. It is just all that has been recorded so far.
This guide has been written by Vontri of the Carbuncle Server, but it was thanks to the help of all of those on Carbuncle that have done Mazes with me and all of those who have reported their information on the wiki that it made it possible for me to write this. I would also like to thank Duelly of the Pet Food Alpha Podcast, for his information on Voucher 04.