Ah, Update dayEdit
This is why they keep us around, isn't it Tahn? --Lordshadow 20:10, March 22, 2010 (UTC) (Also, is vanachat down?)
Bombs, Snolls and DjinnEdit
Done- No known snoll can be used in Pankration, while any bomb can. If they were both considered part of the same category, they would both be useable. Tahngarthor 17:32, 30 November 2007 (UTC)
Thanks for your comment in the discussion of my guide. I have made a pretty large overhaul of the article, including some new sections, and I believe that it is much clearer now. Feel free to let me know what you think!Resheph 09:16, 27 January 2008 (UTC)
Support Job pages Edit
I see you replaced 'level' with 'main job level' on the warrior support page. That's a good idea, thanks. --Volkai 14:06, 1 March 2008 (UTC)
Please remove that giant substituted template from your signature. Thanks. --User:Charitwo/Sig 03:29, 21 June 2008 (UTC)
Thanks. You need to add a ]] after the pipeline in [[User:Tahngarthor| btw. --User:Charitwo/Sig 05:10, 21 June 2008 (UTC)
Fields of Valor revert Edit
I'm wondering why you reverted my edits to the FoV page. I don't see what's wrong with my modifications: (1) it is proper to link to the Field Manual page here when talking about them; (2) the manuals aren't always next to outposts; (3) 'exact' shouldn't be capitalised as it doesn't begin a new sentence; and (4) what's wrong with actually linking to the chart being referenced?--Anthoron T/ C 11:51, 22 February 2009 (UTC)
I don't see the point to linking to a page that is nothing but a data source which is transcluding information onto the FoV page. The manual locations are listed in the table and the text now specifies " (Exact locations are shown in the table below.)" Also, you can have entire sentences in parentheses so captializing exact is acceptable. The link is redundant. If it were a reference to an off site source, it would be appropriate. But identical content within the same site is redundant. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 13:39, 22 February 2009 (UTC)
- Capitalising 'exact' would be acceptable if it was the entire sentence, but the period to end the preceding sentence doesn't appear until after the parentheses. The link isn't "identical content", it's a shortcut to the table. Should the TOC be removed too for the same reason?--Anthoron T/ C 21:30, 22 February 2009 (UTC)
- It's a "shortcut" to identical content. For the umpteenth time, the two pages say exactly the same thing, except one has a couple additional sentences of text. I don't understand the resistance here. Usually the wiki frowns upon redundancy and other unnecessary stuff. Correct grammar all you want, nobody's perfect. but I maintain the FM page in its current form is unnecessary. I'd be more inclined to support the page and the transclusion of it if it were going to be used on multiple pages, but as it is now I don't see that happening due to the nature of it- the table is useful on this page and this page only. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 23:31, 22 February 2009 (UTC)
- This isn't a discussion about the Field Manual page, it's about the FoV page; and while the FM page still exists in its current state, the wiki should be edited as such (and not with the assumption that it's going to disappear). If the FM page is removed/merged/whatever, then the FoV page can be updated to reflect that.--Anthoron T/ C 01:17, 23 February 2009 (UTC)
- It still makes no sense to link to it, whether it dissapears or not- in its current state, the Field Manual page is little more than a chart template (filled in with content) and it does not help anyone to link there from the FoV page. If something isn't helpful, it shouldn't be done. And linking from FoV to the FM page is not helpful to anyone. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 01:24, 23 February 2009 (UTC)
I like this concept alot, it really seems to highlight ur additions to talk pages, mind if i borrow or play around w/ the source? Milotheshort 23:15, October 22, 2009 (UTC)
p.s. i already have the source duplicated, just wanted to make sure you were cool about me trying to implment/alter it on my page, some ppl are touchy about pet projects like this lol thx in advance Milotheshort 23:17, October 22, 2009 (UTC)
Please don't use this, I'll only be using it in certain cases and I've been informed that this template of a template concept can be problematic if overused. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 06:32, November 2, 2009 (UTC)
Actualization Team Edit
Were you using Maze Rune 102 (Trial by Numbers)? The Blitz is only locked if that rune is set (or so another editor claims; I have yet to try it out myself). If you used 102 and had Chaperix use a Blitz without completing that quest, then that part of the page will need some more revising. ~ Karuberu 23:19, November 16, 2009 (UTC)
Bard songs box template Edit
The links you reverted (back in November - I didn't have it watchlisted) were there because there are pages for song types as well as for individual songs. Now the template no longer has links to the song-type pages Elegy Lullaby Mazurka March Prelude Mambo Madrigal Pastoral or Operetta. --Volkai 20:08, January 30, 2010 (UTC)
1) the wohle point of the template is to link to the spells themselves; 2) anything you really need to know about the song type can be found on the spell pages (e.g. the effects of the spell), and 3) The way the links were set up, it was very easy to click the wrong link since it isn't immediately obvious that the two words link to different pages. It should remain as it is. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 00:49, January 31, 2010 (UTC)
Please take a look at http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Category:Abyssea#Weakness_Targeting for the information you wanted on the weaknesses, it is suggested that finding the mobs weakness will help drop rates. To know you found the weakness !! will appear over the mobs head. --Icari 10:48, July 23, 2010 (UTC)
If triggering these things is not proven to *make* it drop, then drop rate is still necessary. Putting that icon next to the key item drop may be misleading. Tahngarthor 17:05, July 23, 2010 (UTC)
Gatherer of Light (I) Edit
- Hey there! Can i ask you why Gatherer of Light (I) locked is? --Ayrtonia 17:48, September 4, 2010 (UTC)
- want to put a link to the german wikipage pls --Ayrtonia 11:12, September 5, 2010 (UTC)
- I'd like to connect the Gatherer of Light (I) to it's game script:Gatherer of Light (I)/Plot Details, via a spoiler3 tag like all the other missions in this storyline, but the page is locked.Kaycia 08:24, January 31, 2011 (UTC)
Watching over things Edit
You are welcome --Icari 18:29, September 9, 2010 (UTC)
My Contributions Edit
I've been doing a lot of page editing for consistency in both format and convention. I've also been cleaning up various categories. In the process, I've run into many pages that are named incorrectly. I've been adding Move, SMove, Delete and SDelete as needed. However, the creator of one page removed one. In order to avoid an edit war, I'm contacting you.
Trail 2083 is incorrectly named. I was originally going to add a Move, but Trial 2083 already exists. So, I added a SDelete instead. Today, the creator removed it. Can you please take a look at it? Also, when you have time, please look at the various maintenance categories.
- Thanks for taking care of that page. Unfortunately, the person just added it back again. --₪ ABBYDON ₪ t/ c 17:48, December 16, 2010 (UTC)
Naming Conventions Edit
Hello, I noticed that you reverted my edit on the The Wyrm God page with the comment "Do not capitalize all words in a key item name", for the Crimson Traverser Stone key item. However, all key items are capitalized that way (or at least, they should...), just like all the other articles. The naming conventions say : "Articles names should use proper capitalization, like that of a book title, this includes redirects. Example: Arnold The Bear is incorrect; it should be Arnold the Bear". So I changed the The Wyrm God article again, to follow those naming conventions, and to avoid having someone create the article with improper capitalization... --Soily 16:52, December 20, 2010 (UTC)
Hmm, sorry, but I don't agree with you on that. There are naming conventions, and as far as I know, they are to be followed for all articles. Capitalization "like book titles" is one of the conventions (see the link I gave above). As I quoted above from the conventions : "Articles names should use proper capitalization, like that of a book title". Clear and simple.
You said : "Where possible, all items and key items should be named the way they appear in the game". That's not true, as all items appear in the inventory (cf the picture on any random item such as Orcish Axe) without special capitalization, but the articles have their words capitalized. The reason for that, I guess, is that capitalized titles look prettier than uncapitalized titles, and that is as true for Key Items as it is for any other article. --Soily 21:40, December 20, 2010 (UTC)
This was decided on quite some time ago, and one of my first duties as a patroller was changing all key items to mirror their actual ingame names. I do not know of any normal item with more than one word that doesn't have all of those words capitalzied in the *item list* (The item list trumps the help text for the tiem). It will remain as it is and I will make sure the policy reflects it. Item pages are not really articles. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 21:50, December 20, 2010 (UTC)
- Note the example given under Items on the policy itself. The help text says "Royal Squire's halberd" but the item list says "Ryl. Sqr. Halberd". The article name matches the item list name, with the abbriviations expanded. Take a look at any key item. Both in the key item list and in the help text, words other than the first are not capitalized unless they are proper nouns. All such key item pages were changed a long time ago to match this. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 21:53, December 20, 2010 (UTC)
Shinryu edit history Edit
Crap, I put a broken link (typo) in my comments editing the Shinryu page. Is this possible to fix?
In regards to Shinryu I mean the Summary section I mistyped The Wyrm God and confused it with The Wyrmking Descends. You can see the red "edit new page" for "The Wyrm King" text on Shinryu's edit history page. On Brisk Mask I keep seeing people remove the deliberate line-break in the middle of job listings despite my repeated attempts to keep it there as identical formatting to the image. Is this not the intent? --Ahkvan 11:02, February 18, 2011 (UTC)
- Please review the discussion comments on referenced article --Endlesspath 12:44, February 18, 2011 (UTC)
- Fact of the matter regarding this section, in regards to my continual efforts to enhance references to the Category:Empyrean Armor-By Area/NM is that is a significantly useful section, imo quite relevant to the Category:Abyssea page. Honestly, your editing would have been better served by taking if anything the  and  segments, off-branching them with a very short summary on the main page - these in no way shape or form need to be covered in such detail on the main Abyssea page.--Endlesspath 08:54, March 9, 2011 (UTC)
- The problem is this: I voted no change, and the general summary was for no change, yet contrary to what you said immediately above - you changed the page (moving the af3 seal area/nm charts from the Category:Abyssea to Category:Empyrean Armor). So what is it, put it back the way it was before you made your change - or admit you changed something contrary to the majorities view?--Endlesspath 01:09, March 10, 2011 (UTC)
- The article still needs changes and improvements if it is possible to improve the article. The discussion was about whether or not the page should be split into distinct articles instead of being one page. Even without splitting the article, certain peices of information can be summarized or made more concise, or specific things moved (in this case, one thing was moved to another page that already exists because it seeemed like a better home for it.). Also remember: Wikis are not a democracy. Polls and surveys are not binding. If people really think it's such a serious problem, they will make changes to it. The edits you made I that I changed back were only done because they did not improve the article in any way. I'm certainly not going to do something like lock the page or otherwise prevent changes just because someone said "my vote: no change to this article." If something can be inproved, it should be. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 01:31, March 10, 2011 (UTC)
User page editing Edit
During editing my personal userpage, I have come into a problem concerning drop boxes and checklists. I can't seem to get my Missions drop boxes to show the information that I have put into them. Could you please assist with this as it has been bothering me for a while now Sexdrivenmonkey 02:31, March 6, 2011 (UTC)
Voidwatch and Category:Voidwatch Edit
I'm thinking of creating both Voidwatch for reference and explanation, and [[Category:Voidwatch]] for pages related to this new battle system. There is already a [[Category:Voidwatch Notorious Monsters]] category.
If something needs a category, the information on it should be on the category page, not a seperate page. Use Category:Voidwatch. And please be sure to visit our new site as announced and share what you know there. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 16:02, May 10, 2011 (UTC)
Links to en.wikipediaorg in "Historical" sections Edit
- Feel free to link to wikipedia- but as far as I can tell, you need to use the URL and description in single brackets. Wikia doesn't seem to support wp:pagename. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 17:54, May 21, 2011 (UTC)
- The alias wp doesn't seem to be present, though. It's not there by default it seems, as wp: doesn't work on our new site, either ( gamerescape.com - and I encourage you to visit there, as it is indended to replace this site where we have less control over site funcitonality ) but Wikipedia: seems to work by default. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 20:07, May 21, 2011 (UTC)
page burn Edit
You probably don't remember me, but I used to play with you on Shiva ~5 years ago. Was a Hume Bard in Yellowcake named Ayaz. But, that's beside the point.
In regards to the awful Page Burn article I started, I will read formatting and content guidelines and repost it. I'm just making you aware in case there is some issue with me doing this. As far as it not being a "common" term, it will become one very soon as I have confirmed reports of its popularity growing on multiple servers. I don't know if this changes anything or not. Anyway, it was the first wiki page I'd ever tried to make. So I'll try it again properly. Let me know if there are any reasons I should not.
- I would prefer if you simply incorporated the most useful information into the Grounds of Valor page. You can't just make up a term and create a page to define that term. Definitions belong in the terms & slang dictionary, and useful information should be applied to either the relevant article.
Could you possibly rename the page Hadava.jpg to Hahava.jpg along with switching it on the Hahava main page so it appears right? I couldn't find an option to rename the page and made the mistake. :( --Vagrua 07:57, June 2, 2011 (UTC).
Back again, could you rename/change the page TableMobHeader2-NM to Template:TableMobHeader2-NM? I wanted to use it for editing the Voidwatch page since I'm afraid that other pages might be changed editing the current template known as Template:TableMobHeader-NM . --Vagrua 23:18, August 11, 2011 (UTC)
Can you contact me? Edit
I want to discuss something with you regarding the wiki, but I'd rather not do it on a public forum.
New Wikia feature - ChatEdit
Hi! I'm Mark, from Wikia's Content Team. I'm excited to announce a brand-new Wikia feature - the Chat. The chat has been available for a while in beta, but it was recently added to WikiaLabs, meaning that any local sysop can activate the feature on their wiki! The chat is an excellent way to communicate with less experienced editors and new visitors to the wiki, without having to explain the process of editing entirely using talk pages. In addition to that, the chat also allows you to discuss news about the game easily without having to renew a page all the time waiting for the new messages bubble. Just to be clear, Wikia is not forcing this feature on any wiki, it's completely optional. However, we do recommend the feature as it'll only make editing easier, and attract more editors to the wiki. To activate the feature, visit Special:WikiaLabs and activate the chat. If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to leave me a message on my talk page! Cheers, Mark (talk) 22:36, July 12, 2011 (UTC)
Hello! This isn't actually about FFXIclopedia, but Gamer Escape. I couldn't get the registration to work right over there, and I figure you might see it over here anyway. I haven't really been watching lately, but a quick look tonight brought up: http://ffxi.gamerescape.com/wiki/Climactic_Flourish and http://ffxi.gamerescape.com/wiki/Charis_Tiara_%2B2
That information is the result of testing that I did over the course of several hours a few months ago, and come to you uncited. They reworded it, but the odds that they repeated the testing are very slim.
The +1 version's note (though not entirely correct) was added by me back when I only had the +1 and thought Climactic was lame, so it's fine. --Byrthnoth 01:57, July 15, 2011 (UTC)
Charis Tiara Edit
Take another look at the history of the pages I linked, then look at the respective pages here. The information is not here for the two pages I linked, and it is there. It was added a few days ago with the climactic flourish buff, with the same odd word-choice that I used on BG wiki. Admittedly, they reordered my sentence and added two pieces of punctuation, but it's still incredibly unlikely that they repeated the test themselves. --Byrthnoth 16:28, July 16, 2011 (UTC)
I have added a link to the source. If you have anything further that doesn't relate to this site in particular, please post it over there. If you are using a hotmail address to register, try gmail instead. Hotmail seems to lose our confirmation mails for some reason. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 23:29, July 17, 2011 (UTC)
Sorry haven't logged into ffxiclopedia in a good long while. Before you asked me to change the name of my guide and you would move it. Could you please call it "Haste Ninja: Blade of Inazuma". Sorry for the inappropriate title before and thanks ahead of time :)
GamerEscape and Wikia - parallel editing? Edit
- Can you add Voidwatch to the Knowledge Base article under the Battles section, as was done on GE?
- Are the two respective sites being kept up to date by various editors and/or automated tools?
- I find the fracturing of the editing community disturbing. I'm never quite sure which site to edit and don't want to do the work twice; my editing names are not the same, either.
- How were the voluminous images copied between the sites, do you recall?
--SimuAndy 01:13, September 21, 2011 (UTC)
We would very much like for you to join us at our new home, though it's entirely up to you what action to take. The Wikia network has made this a challenge because they won't allow this to be removed. As for the transfer itself, we were able to get a dump of the entire wiki (yes, it is huge) and that's where we started from. For all intents and purposes, this was supposed to be a move, not a duplication, however legal obligations prevented that. Had the founders forseen what would happen down the road, they might not have chosen this host. Upon the announcement of FFXIV, the founders chose to once again attempt to host a wiki themselves, and eventually, after the announcement of SE publishing another MMO known as Wakfu, chose to start a full-fledged network, and incorporate FFXIclopedia back into it.
Bots can't create content, someone has to write it. Certain things like basic item informaton could be botted, but we never did that, either here or on GamerEscape, because we lacked someone with datamining expertise.
I will occasionally pop in here to perform administrative tasks that no one else is able to perform, but for the most part, no one is maintaining this wiki outside of content added by regular users. No one capable has come forward to volunteer time to it either. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 01:40, September 21, 2011 (UTC)
Hey Tahngarthor, Every time I edit my first page, I get locked out from any further edits with an error message saying that I need to validate my email address. But I already have validated my email address. This account, my main account and another account I created just to test . Please help me. I want to fix errors that I see on the pages but it won't let me edit. I do have a validated email, I'm even part of the Emailvalidated group. Help!
I have a jpg I need you to see; I'll explain how this happened:
[Can anyone explain what you think this may be?]
It happens when I tap "Ctrl" or "Alt" with "S", "R", "P", "T", or "L" quickly ONCE. i.e.) ..one (1) quick tap of "Alt" and "S" simultaneously. This picture was taken playing on a console. I haven't tried it on my laptop yet. Maybe I'll be able to click it with a mouse cursor.
--If I'm not mistaken, this is a language bar. It's useful on a PC where you can actually CLICK on it with your mouse....but not so useful on a console. When I played on PC, it was there constantly. I play on XBox now and I actually had it pop up once. Still scratching my head for HOW it showed up because I still can't do it. I digress, if you click the right button on the bar (can't remember off the top of my head, it's been a while), you can type in Japanese (hiragana, katakana & kanji). It was fun to play with, but it never made any sense to any of the JP players I used to play with as their (roman) alphabet is different. =/
--Solinari_Asura 11:35, December 30, 2011
Userpages in Job Category Edit
Can you check the pages in the job category please? There are three Userpages in there.I'm not sure how long it's been like this, but I don't think that it should be there. Could you please take action if necessary. I'm not sure if anything needs to be done. Thanks in advance.
Sexdrivenmonkey 07:11, January 9, 2012 (UTC)
Speedy Moves Needed Edit
Currently, every Empyrean armor +2 upgrade item page is named against Naming Conventions, and they are all proposed for speedy moves. Can you do this for us?
The items are under the name that appears in the text log rather than in the inventory/treasure pool (e.g., the page is named "Card of Ardor" instead of "Ardor Card").
According to Naming Conventions#Items:
The name of the item page should reflect how the item appears in your inventory, but expanding any abbreviations.
Ryl. Sq. Halberd is how it appears in your inventory. The page should be named Royal Squire's Halberd.
Some materials, in their pictures, list the title as Square of Rheiyoh Leather, but in their inventory, the item appears as Rheiyoh Leather. The title for this item's page would be Rheiyoh Leather
The following are the pages that need to be moved, unless site naming conventions are changed:
Card of Ardor
Card of Balance
Card of Vision
Card of Voyage
Card of Wieldance
Coin of Ardor
Coin of Balance
Coin of Vision
Coin of Voyage
Coin of Wieldance
Jewel of Ardor
Jewel of Balance
Jewel of Vision
Jewel of Voyage
Jewel of Wieldance
Stone of Ardor
Stone of Balance
Stone of Vision
Stone of Voyage
Stone of Wieldance
Also, whoever created this page capitalized some letters of the NM's name for no reason, and it needs a speedy move:
RW NW Prt M Hrw
Thanks for your assistance. --Blue Donkey Kong 20:34, April 3, 2012 (UTC)
The stone/card etc. pages were left as-is intentionally for compatibility with FFXIAH. The other names were redirected to these, because that's what everyone was looking for. In this case, I think the exception is reasonable The NM page has been moved.Tahngarthortalk-contribs 21:04, April 21, 2012 (UTC)
Do you know if there is a way to fetch data from my linkshell community page, and get it to automatically update on my user page? Do you know of anyone who might know if you don't? My community user page is here
I'd like to get job level, missions, craft levels, title, etc.
Sexdrivenmonkey 03:34, May 15, 2012 (UTC)
What about GE? Sexdrivenmonkey 02:10, June 1, 2012 (UTC)
- There was talk of doing something like that a long time ago, but I'm not sure if it's still being worked on. I've been away from Final Fantasy for quite some time until recently, so if you talk with Gahoo or Fusionx at GE, they'll be able to tell you more than I can. I know that we do have something like this in place for FFXIV, but SE specifically provided functions for us to tap into the Lodestone. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 04:32, June 1, 2012 (UTC)
i have not played in 2 yrs but started up last night isnt there a way to teleport to the various outposts youve brought supplies to? if so can you tell the one for winhurst and jueno --Vengefuljinn (talk) 16:47, September 22, 2012 (UTC)
Main Page Edit
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Vevla?&cb=4281 is a page that serves the purpose of "informing" the community about a player on the server who is likely unrelated to the community. The talk page also consists of a flame war between two or more users. Seems it's been around for a while, kinda surprised no one has reported it sooner. --Kyosukerob (talk) 14:47, December 10, 2012 (UTC)
Thank you for removing that, it was starting to get on my nerves.. Rhionhi 03:57, December 24, 2012 (UTC)
- PS: He is back, with a page called Vevla the Leech.. it seems it was to early to celebrate.
- Yes, I marked it for deletion, but he removed the SDelete tag. Looks like an account created just for this purpose: User:Tahngarthorr. Please have a look when you have a moment. Auralee (talk) 09:22, January 3, 2013 (UTC)
- He has just made yet another page, and has started harassing my email because i reverted the page, who knows how he got the address. Is there really no way to properly ban people like this? Rhionhi 19:59, January 8, 2013 (UTC)
- Yes, that name is one letter different from the Wikia Staff member that banned him last time. This is becoming quite the problem. Toadie on Siren (talk) 17:08, January 10, 2013 (UTC)
- Now he is vandalizing my user page and talk page by changing them to contain the same information his fake NM pages contain. Please help. Toadie on Siren (talk) 02:13, January 11, 2013 (UTC)
- he is vandalizing mine to, with his stupid external links. he needs to be banned. Rhionhi 04:24, January 11, 2013 (UTC)
Please contact Wikia via their contact form about this. He's getting autoblocked so he can only do so much, but there is only so much we can do to stop abusers. We can ban IPs and they can use proxies or get a different IP address. If we ban IP ranges (which only wikia can do that) then innocent people potentially get blocked as well. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 18:39, January 18, 2013 (UTC)
I understand. The IP address range blocking thing is a big point to consider. I did contact them and they redirected me to the VSTF team to handle the problem. The VSTF team was quick to respond so hopefully all this will settle down soon. Toadie on Siren (talk) 00:36, January 19, 2013 (UTC)
/* Briedox > Breidox - Pages named incorrectly */ Edit
Hi, the user who created the pages "Briedox' and "Briedox +1" named them improperly. The pages should be "Breidox" and "Breidox +1" respectively. The incorrect name leads to broken links from AH site. Niktok (talk) 20:35, February 4, 2013 (UTC)
Well, Seekers has more information, some of which could benefit a home on the knowledge base. I would edit it, but I don't have that srt of access. I created the pages for Colonization and Otherworldly Skirmishes. Skirmishes are a new type of battle, and while no one has added to the Skirmish yet, and I personally do not have more information, I still feel it should find a good home in the Battles section. :) -- Peetave (talk) 05:14, April 5, 2013 (UTC)
We recently received word that someone had copied wholesale the new sections of bgwiki and posted them over here, formatting and all. The user's wikia name is Dracko, and he copied at least these pages:
He was also kind enough to tell one of our admins through LS chat, lol: http://www.kjmgmt.com/wiki/thief.jpg
I don't normally bother going after copypasta because it's so common and hard to keep track of, but multiple people are pissed and I know some of our editors worked hard developing those pages, so I would appreciate it if you could remove them and ban the offender. --Byrthnoth (talk)
May 16th Edit
Another report, this time on GamersEscape. I don't know if you're over there too, but:
Take a wild guess which one I did the testing for/wrote and which one was copied wholesale. I'm going to go ahead and assume this is true of essentially all the GE pages from that update:
Admin Rights Edit
I appreciate all that you have done for FFXIclopedia, and I regret that you have moved on to GamerEscape. As this is one of the best-known FFXI fan sites, I have felt the desire to keep it up-to-date, and I've been one of the most active users on this wiki since your departure, creating new templates like Template:GeomancyNavbox, keeping the bestiary updated with pages like Category:Umbrils and Category:Apian Beasts, and creating pages for new content like Category:Reive.
Is it possible that I could have admin rights on this wiki? We currently don't have an active admin to deal with vandalism or improperly named pages. --Blue Donkey Kong (talk) 00:48, May 28, 2013 (UTC)
According to his contributions page, Cemalidor made 0 edits in 2012 and only 5 non-bot edits in 2013. According to his contribution page, he has taken no administrative actions on this wiki to curb vandalism, move or rename pages, or solve any user issues.--Blue Donkey Kong (talk) 19:06, June 4, 2013 (UTC)
There really needs to be some admin action going on this wiki. Yes, wiki users may have moved on to GE, but this wiki is still around and needs to be maintained. Mifaco (talk) 06:45, June 7, 2013 (UTC)
Vandal Issue Edit
Could you do something about User:Kathious? He's on an undo-without-explanation spree, as you can see from his "contributions" page. It's something you warned him about years ago (although he recently removed your warning from his talk page). He's also intent on preventing edits to the Life on the Frontier page. His ulterior motive seems to be increasing Reive participation, but the edition of the page that he insists on reverting to violates this Wiki's neutrality policy, and reverting to his favored edition removes information regarding other, faster, more viable options for this mission that allow for soloing. Additionally, he deleted my messages to him from his talk page and he blanked Talk:Life on the Frontier at one point so that it wouldn't expose his vandalism. Protecting the Life on the Frontier page at the Revision as of 17:02, June 5, 2013 would prevent his removal of information from that page while retaining all relevant information and providing a link to further options for the mission. In the edit history, that edition of the page is denoted by the edit summary (I think the page is ideal for locking by an administrator with this edit.)
Kathious has returned, once again undoing productive edits without explanation. Currently all Category:Trial of the Magians pages are being removed from Category:Jeuno Quests and Category:Quests due to the thousands of pages added to those two categories for no reason, and he undid a few of those removals. I rolled them back, but I think it's time to block him/her now.--Blue Donkey Kong (talk) 23:31, March 4, 2014 (UTC)
Final Fantasy XIV Beta & Writing Project?Edit
Hey there Tahngarthor! (I'm also copying this message to Karuberu and Cemalidor)
My name is Jorge and I am on Wikia's Community Development team. Square Enix recently reached out to us about hooking up some of the FFXI wiki community with access to the upcoming Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn beta! As a strong MMO FF community, you would all be a perfect fit. Pretty soon we should have from 3-5 codes for the Final Fantasy community for anyone willing to play the game and over a few weeks, chronicle their time in the game in a sort of travelogue, just a few paragraphs each.
Tomorrow or Friday, we'll likely make a blog post announcing the opportunity with the intent of posting everyone's pieces by the June 24th. We'd love to make an article page on the wiki so players can leave their thoughts on their own. I just want to check in to see if that's OK with you. Alternatively, we could have players send in their thoughts by email and I can collect them all for a blog.
Anyway, let me know what you think about, if you have suggestions for what you think you would want folks to write about, and of course let me know if you want to get beta access too! Just leave me a message on my talk page.
ps: Oh, we did something similar, albeit a bit more fan-fiction like, for SimCity awhile back if you were curious for an example: http://simcity.wikia.com/wiki/SimCity_Stories.
Thanks for the offer. I personally am already involved in the FFXIV:ARR beta, having been a paying subscriber of the original version. A giveway or something of the sort might not be a bad idea, however. You're welcome to post anything you like. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 21:18, June 12, 2013 (UTC)
- Ah, just saw this! Great to hear! I'm still not sure if I should make an article page (so people can edit themselves) or a blog page (easier commenting), but I'll post something inviting people to leave their thoughts this week. I also have a ton of codes left, so if you want to bring someone else on board, just shoot me an email (email@example.com).
- Jorge (profile)•(talk) 17:47, June 18, 2013 (UTC)
Two spammers who need to be banned Edit
Since receiving the ability to delete pages, I've been on spam patrol, and two currently active users have been posting spam.
User:Vanduber is adding spam links to category pages. Even after I undid his edits, he simply re-added the links. He has no edits other than spam.
On the `main page´ (http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page), under the topic "The Summer of the Version Updates", the last sentence says...
"Read on for the details on these alluring additions." The "Read on" link is incorrectly pointing to the URL http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/10563/detail.html
...it apprently `should´ be pointing to http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/10563/detail.html
A new bot Edit
Hey, Karuberu here. Would you mind changing User:Karubot's user group to "bot" for me? I had enough power create/run the bot, but I'm not able to modify user groups with only Jr. Sysop privileges, so it's not flagged as a bot and spams the recent changes. I'm hoping to clean up the site a little. Thanks! ~ Karuberu (talk) 21:51, January 21, 2014 (UTC)
Inappropriate NPC Image Edit
Don't know how often you check here, but while checking the wiki for spawn information on a NM, I noticed an interesting image change for a npc. It was on this page Aihn Sowlmirih done by Itanocircus I went ahead and reverted the image back to the original. --Smz (talk) 12:12, April 17, 2014 (UTC)
Hello Tahngarthor, hope all is well.
Ban Request Edit
Please ban User:Redjesusfreak. He has hit the undo button on 3 random pages without explanation in the past couple days, completely removing a mission walkthrough, adding a typo back into another page, and restoring empty, nonapplicable sections to an item page.--Blue Donkey Kong (talk) 03:23, July 5, 2014 (UTC)
Blank Pages Edit
I have encountered several blank pages, lately. Some of these I know were there, in the past. Example: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Through_the_Quicksand_Caves I thought it might just be me, but I read Blue Donkey Kong's comments, above. Something is afoot. Are you able to recover lost pages?
Many thanks, for all you, and the remaining ffxiclopedia admins, do to keep this the best FFXI resource, on the net! PerditionOfFenrir
Hi Perdition of Fenrir,
There was a massive glitch with the wiki a few days ago that prevented editing, made page histories inaccessible, and caused some pages to appear to be blank.
Luckily, the glitch is no longer affecting the wiki other than the blank pages. Fixing the pages is simple: Simply hit Edit, then Publish (no changes are even needed) and everything reappears. However, I don't know the cause of the glitch or how to track down these blank pages other than mere chance.--Blue Donkey Kong (talk) 21:31, July 5, 2014 (UTC)
From the look of it, that issue was addressed by Wikia. It's good to see that the resolution is simple enough. Hopefully Wikia won't be messing anything else up anytime soon :p Please be sure to spread the word so that people don't end up trying to rewrite blank pages from scratch. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 15:45, July 8, 2014 (UTC)
Hey Tahn. It's been brought to my attention that Leathercraft is missing from the "Jobs + More" > "Crafts" section of the navigation header. I don't have the correct privileges to edit MediaWiki:Wiki-navigation in order to fix this myself. Would you mind adding Leathercraft to the list when you have a chance? (or edit my privileges so that I can do edits like these in the future, if you know how) Thanks! ~ Karuberu (talk) 14:35, December 3, 2015 (UTC)
- Added, also added job points under jobs & more. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 18:23, December 3, 2015 (UTC)
Hey Tahn. Just wondering, as one of the more active users on here in the last month, I can get priviliges to move/delete pages and edit protected pages to keep this wiki updated. If things work out, I'd like to take on more responsibility here at FFXIclopedia and try to rebuild the community aspect of the site.
I haven't been able to raise Blue Donkey Kong or Cemalidor (who are the other two admins I can see), as it seems that they're on a hiatus from FFXI or at least the wiki for a long time now. I can't log in to the forums or create a new account there because various bits and pieces are broken, so my communication is limited.
Hey there Tahn,
I had to take a step back in July last year to run my own business, but in the meantime I've been working on a FFXI tabletop game. The place for that's not here on FFXIclopedia, naturally, but it has meant I've been resubscribed to the game and been more involved with the site.
I've been keeping the update, new item and event details added, but keeping on top new content for the entire wiki is more than one person can do, though as always am very appreciative of all of the regular editors here that take the time to post articles and update old pages as the game continues. I really feel a need to reach out to other editors and co-ordinate our efforts to make the site less of a mess.
However, currently the community here is stifled by a lack of facility for interaction. To that end, last year, I posted on the forums regarding a request from Wikia admins to consider moving across to their newer social format - Discussions. The two admins on these forums - Kyoshin and Cemalidor - posted back eventually, but I gather like yourself they're barely involved in the site any more and seemed happy to leave it to the judgment of Wikia.
Bert at Wikia wondered if we would consider a merger with finalfantasy.wikia.com, but after talking with Technobliterator there, they'd seek to streamline this wiki by removing all individual item and monster pages to make it a more general reference akin to how they treat the other FF games. I don't think that would be suitable.
I've e-mailed Bert and asked if he could implement Discussions so that I can try to get some chat going with the regular users about updating the style sheets and adding Wikia functionality, etc. and maybe building a team with responsibility for different areas of the wiki. It'd be great to also use the Wikia blogs, update all the About/Welcome/Editing Guidlines and link in active contributors that new or irregular users may want to contact.
I would greatly appreciate any assistance you could give, especially if you wanted to be involved in this kind of thing - though I understand if you don't because you are focusing on GE and/or other games now. If that's the case, I'd appreciate if you felt happy to pass Admin responsibilities over to myself entirely. I have been an contributor here since 2006, hiatus for FFXIV notwithstanding.
I was also wondering if you, or if you knew who, had the login details for the @FFXIclopedia Twitter. I use Twitter a lot (@Mojo_FFXIV), and it'd be nice to be able to let people know that the site's producing new content again.
Well, that's a long read.
As far as wiki functionality, i'm pretty sure it can all be enabled on some special page or other. I'm not sure any intervention from FANDOM is needed for that.
I have a certain interest in maintaining control however I can grant you the permissions needed to do what you need to do. As you would expect I don't think merging with finalfantasy is a good idea if they want to make wholesale changes to the content. People actively playing the game will need more than basic content information, and while there are other wikis like BGwiki that specialize in the more technical details, I don't think it would be good to lose one such resource.
That being said, changes to the game are becoming increasingly minor, at least for now, so the wiki is in a place where all it really needs is missing information filled in. I don't think it wise to make any radical functionality changes. FFXI is essentially a complete game at this point. I'm not prepared to relinquish bcrat/admin but I can grant the latter to you. Tahngarthortalk-contribs 06:26, July 13, 2017 (UTC)
PS you did not sign your post, so I do not know who you are.