The Mercenary Rank system works similarly to the Rank system. With a higher Rank, you are able to buy more items with Imperial Standing Points at an Imperial Gate Guard and the Sanction status will last longer. However, rather than donating crystals to Conquest Overseers and doing nation missions, you must successfully complete Assaults for your promotions.
All promotions can be obtained through Curio Vendor Moogle after obtaining Rhapsody in Azure. Assaults for "rank-up points" must still be completed. When the player meets the requirements, they will be able to purchase the respective badge from the Curio Vendor Moogle.
To earn the next Mercenary Rank you have to accumulate 25 "Rank-Up Points" in Assault Missions, as follows:
- You earn 5 points for successfully completing a particular mission for the first time (including Nyzul Isle Investigation).
- You earn 1 point for successfully completing a previously-completed mission (including Nyzul Isle Investigation).
- You earn 0 points for a failed mission.
The ranks of the mercenary and mission do not matter; in particular, higher-ranked Mercenaries do not need to do higher-ranked missions to earn points.
- You can only accumulate 25 points. After that, until the rank-up quest is complete, any further points that would be earned are lost.
- Speak with Abquhbah at I-10 Aht Urhgan Whitegate when you are unsure of how many points you have. Choose the topic "Mercenary Assessments." As you progress, you will receive the following dialogues:
- 0-7 points
- "At your current pace, you'll be doomed to a meeting with President Naja's spiky “friend.” If you want to dig yourself out of that pit, you've got to hit the Commissions Agency and run up some successful Assault missions.... (That's the only option left to you...)"
- 8-11 points
- "Hmmm. You seem to be out of the woods as far as being beaten to a pulp goes, but you're still somewhere south of the middle."
- 12-18 points
- "Hello... Seems someone has been a good little mercenary. You have some glowing reports from the Commissions Agency here. You've finally pulled yourself up to the borderline between worthless pile of beaten pulp and respectable employee."
- 19-24 points
- "Let's see now. A few more successful missions and the president herself might have a word with you. Keep this up and the next mercenary rank is not far off!"
When you are able to rank up, you will be told:
- "Hello, hello. You'll be hearing from President Naja any day now! (Poor thing, you'll wish you'd stayed a worthless pile of beaten pulp...)"
After you have earned enough points, speak with Naja Salaheem for a Promotion Quest. Fulfill Naja's task and you will be granted a higher rank and your Rank-Up Points will be reset to 0.
Mercenary Rank Quest for Obtaining Rank Key Item Rank-Up Points Needed for Promotion to Next Rank PSC Private Second Class Aht Urhgan Mission 3: President Salaheem PSC Wildcat Badge 25 PFC Private First Class Promotion: Private First Class PFC Wildcat Badge 25 SP Superior Private Promotion: Superior Private SP Wildcat Badge 25 LC Lance Corporal Promotion: Lance Corporal LC Wildcat Badge 25 C Corporal Promotion: Corporal C Wildcat Badge 25 S Sergeant Promotion: Sergeant S Wildcat Badge 25 SM Sergeant Major Promotion: Sergeant Major SM Wildcat Badge 25 CS Chief Sergeant Promotion: Chief Sergeant CS Wildcat Badge 25 SL Second Lieutenant Promotion: Second Lieutenant SL Wildcat Badge 25 FL First Lieutenant Promotion: First Lieutenant FL Wildcat Badge All Assaults Complete Captain Promotion: Captain Captain Wildcat Badge