- Talk to Zaldon with a total of 30+ fishing skill to begin the quest.
- See Fishing Skill for gear that can boost your fishing skill, allowing you to accept the quest with as little as 22 fishing skill.
- If there is an item in the fish he'll give it to you and he'll give you some gil for compensation for taking the fish.
- When questing the Ebisu Fishing Rod you DO NOT have to have the Serpent Rumors prior to getting your items.
The Fish List
Those listed with Skill 100 are considered "legendary" fish.
Drop Rates While Keeping Charts
It is wellknown that if you store either a Pirate's Chart or a Brigand's Chart in your inventory and continue trading Zaldon marlins that you will eventually receive the other chart from him. What is not known is whether this affects the drop rate of the second chart. Obviously, the game must check your inventory in order to know that you are holding the chart. Thus, there are two possibilities:
- The game checks your inventory, sees that you are holding a chart, then gives you the other one. In this case, the drop rate of the chart when holding should be equal to the combined drop rates for both charts when not holding.
- The game checks your inventory, sees that you are holding a chart, then drops the chart without informing you. In other words, the drop rates for the charts are independent of each other. In this case, the drop rate when holding a chart will be equal to the drop rate of the chart when not holding.
Clearly, the first case is preferable. It would mean that players can hold on to a chart without fear that they are silently missing out on obtaining more. The way to determine which is happening is to also keep track of drop rates when holding charts. A preliminary study posted on Titanictus.com showed that the drop rate when holding is equal to the drop rate when not holding, meaning the second case is how the game actually works. The sample size of that experiment was too small to be conclusive though.
If you trade marlins without holding on to a chart, please post those drop rates in the table above. If, however, you trade marlins to Zaldon while holding a chart in your inventory, please post the drop rates below.
- Pirate's Chart (While holding a Brigand's Chart in your inventory) - (4.5%)
- Brigand's Chart (While holding a Pirate's Chart in your inventory) - (3%)