|This article is only a guide. Information expressed in a guide is usually more opinion than fact and should be taken as such. Guides are written by players, based upon their experiences, successes and mistakes, and are meant to aid other players. However, there may be differing opinions than those expressed in a guide. |
Strategies and information in guides may not work for everyone.
Note: The chocobo guide has been totally revamped. removing the repetitive information about each day and condensed into an easier to follow guide. This is a quick rendition, if the general populace does not like this edition, I have the old edition saved and can quickly replace it. Please post whether you like this new version or not, and why, in the discussion thread Ferine
Raising Your Chocobo
This is some information on raising your chocobo
- Please be aware that when your chocobo first grows up, it will not be faster then a rental chocobo. Do not expect to be running laps around someone no matter how hard you try, it will take time and probably multiple generations to get the fastest chocobo.
- Also don't be afraid to be stingy on feed, your chocobo won't care if you give it Gysahl Greens or Azouph Greens. But don't forget the additional effect of foods is small but slightly noticeable if given in large quantities.
- You won't be guaranteed a colored chocobo.
- You can not call a chocobo in an area that you could not normaly ride one to. Northlands, Caedarva Mire, Li'Telor, Tu'Lia just to name a few.
What you will need to raise your chocobo
These are the items that will be required over the month of your chocobo raising. All of these can be purchased from the Auction House in your city.
- 29 days in which to check on your chocobo.
- Between 8-12 stacks of Chocobo Feed
- If your chocobo gets sick, 2 of the Medicinal Feed is recommended
- Possibly a Chocolixir or two for when your chocobo becomes an adult.
- A lot of patience
Obtaining an Egg
Currently, eggs can be obtained from certain Sanction battlefields (ISNM), Dabih Jajalioh in Ru'lude Gardens, or by completing the quest Chocobo on the Loose!. While there is only one item, "Chocobo Egg", there are multiple descriptions hinting that it may affect breed.
These are the stages in which your chocobo will go through. Most cutscenes are random in occurrence, as well personalities also appear to be random. Do not be upset if your chocobo does not develop a personality until late in its evolution.
- After obtaining a chocobo egg, head to one of the starting cities' chocobo stables and trade the egg to the Vana'diel Chocobo Society trainer located inside. From there, you can watch your chocobo grow!
- The only care plan option is Basic Care
- Your only care option is Watch over the Chocobo
- The egg cycle is 4 real life days. (96 Earth hours)
- Each day, exactly 24 earth hours after the last, you will recieve a cutscene in which the VCS Trainer will update you on your chocobo's condition. If you miss a day the next time you talk to him, he will do both cutscenes in a row.
- On day 4 your egg will hatch into a young chocobo.
- The care plan now includes Basic Care, Rest, Take a Walk in Town, Listen to Music
- You may name your chocobo by combining two of the Chocobo Names up to 15 characters.
- You may now Feed your chocobo. To Feed your chocobo, trade the chocobo food or medication to the VCS Trainer.
- Your care options are Watch over the Chocobo and Go on a Walk (short).
- During this phase of its life, your chocobo will develop many Personalities. Some will last for only a day, others will remain for longer periods of time. The effects of the Personalities is unknown at this time.
- You may receive a second cutscene in which he states, "Your chocobo seems pretty perky today. It should respond to anything you give it". The current belief on this is that it is the day on which to feed your chocobo a worm.
- The chick cycle is 2 weeks Earth time.
- For the first 2 days, the VCS Trainer will give you regular updates on your chocobo, mentioning what care plan it was on. In this phase you may begin to get a second cutscene in which your chocobo may be ill. If this occurs just follow the instructions given by the VCS Trainer.
- Day 7: After another 24 hours, talk to the NPC again for a cutscene showing your chick.
- You will also get a cutscene in which the NPC will mention that your chocobo has been crying at night. You will receive a key item called a White Handkerchief. If you zone and come back, you will use the handkerchief with your scent on it and it will be taken. It is said that if you are too late the chocobo trainer will use his own item to make the chick get better and your handkerchief will be taken. Note that you must also wait until midnight of the next Vana'diel day before the chocobo trainer will take your handkerchief back.
- From day 8-19 You will get regular updates, sometimes getting an ill cutscene and sometimes getting the perky cutscene. On day 19 your chocobo will evolve into a young chocobo.
- The care plan options now include Exercise Alone, Exercise in a Group, Play with Children, Play with Other Chocobos, Carry Packages and Exhibit to the Public.
- Personal care options now include Tell a Story, Scold the Chocobo and Go on a Walk (regular)
- After your first regular walk, you will meet three other trainers who challenge you to a competition. This opens the Personal care option, Compete against Others.
- Your chocobo may now become bored. Use the new Compete against Others to race and remedy his boredom (like other conditions, your chocobo's mood will not update until the next day).
- The color tips of your chocobo indicate that your chocobo has a small chance of being that color when full grown. Don't expect it as the occurrence rate seems low.
- The Adolescent cycle is 10 earth days.
- For the next 10 days you will get regular Chocobo update cutscenes, occasionaly getting ill or bored cutscenes. On day 29 your chocobo will become an adult.
- You receive the care plans Deliver messages, Dig for treasure and Act in a play
- You receive the personal care option long walk.
- Your Chocobo is now ridable. Complete the mini quest Obtaining your Chocobo Whistle to obtain your Chocobo Whistle.
- After obtaining your Chocobo Whistle, you must register your chocobo in your city.
- You may now retire your chocobo. doing so will allow you to begin raising a new chocobo.
- You can continue to improve the stats of your chocobo. (After an unknown period of time, your chocobo will "auto retire"; at this time its stats are permanent and you may begin to raise another chocobo.)
- You can now get a Chococard. This is used for breeding with another chocobo in Jeuno. More information is pending.
- The stop chocobo raising option is removed at this time.
- The time before retirement is unknown at this time.
- Until your chocobo retires, you are able to continue to improve its stats. You will be updated daily on your chocobo's status, as well, all cutscenes from the young chocobo phase will still occur in this phase.