Dark magic spells are insidious and self serving, leeching the target's strength and making it weak. Most spells under dark magic (with the exception of Bio, Tractor, Stun and Klimaform) take strength from the target and give it to the caster, whether it be in the form of stats (such as DEX), Hit Points, Magic Points, or Tactical Points.
There are a handful of types of Dark Magic spells:
- Bio: Status Effect that deals Damage Over Time and lowers an enemy's Attack.
- Drain: Steals an enemy's Hit Points and gives them to the caster.
- Aspir: Steals an enemy's Magic Points (if they have any) and gives them to the caster.
- Absorb Spells (e.g. Absorb-STR): Steals an enemy's stat (such as STR) and gives it to the caster temporarily.
- Tractor: Teleports a K.O.'d character to your current position. Casting range is the same as other magic.
- Stun: Temporarily prevents an enemy from acting.
- Dread Spikes: Damage spikes that absorbs health from attacking opponents.
- Klimaform: Increases the magic accuracy for spells of the same element as the current weather.
- Death: Deals darkness damage proportional to MP with a chance for instant K.O..
Dark Magic skill is the skill base from which Dark Magic derives. It is most synonymous and most importantly relational to the resistance rate of all attack spells therein. In short, Dark Magic is the largest factor which determines if a Dark Magic Spell lands unresisted or not. The skill also helps defend against spell interruptions for any spells in its category, and helps the player climb DoT tiers for Bio II and Bio III, increasing the amount of damage the enemy receives per 'tick' (roughly 3 sec.)
|Job||Skill Ranking||Cap at Level 1||Cap at Level 49||Cap at Level 99|
* Scholar's Dark Magic skill increases to B+ rating under Dark Arts if skill is capped at D.
** Scholar's Dark Magic skill can only increase to B+ rating at Level 1 by using Tabula Rasa.
See: Combat Skills for more Skill information.
Equipment that Enhances this Skill
By Amount Added
|Crimson Belt (During Campaign)|
|Bale Flanchard +2|
|Diabolos's Ring (On Darksday)|
|Goetia Sabots +2|
|Scholar's Gown (with Dark Arts)|
|Scholar's Gown +1 (with Dark Arts)|
|Wizard's Tonban +1|
|Sorcerer's Gloves +1|
|Blood Finger Gauntlets|
|Aesir Torque (On Darksday)|
|Bale Flanchard +1|
|Crimson Finger Gauntlets|
|Goetia Sabots +1|
|Abyss Flanchard +1|
|Abyss Gauntlets +1|
|Argute Pants +1|
|Chaos Burgeonet +1|
|Demon's Harness +1|
|Inferno Sabots +1 (During New Moon)|
|Inferno Sabots (During New Moon)|
|Theta Sash (During Salvage)|
By Equipment Slot
All items (28)