Obtaining the Signal Pearl
You obtain the Signal Pearl which allows you to call your Adventuring Fellow after completing the following quests (in order):
Adventuring Fellow Names
During the quest Unlisted Qualities, you can select from the following names for your Adventuring Fellow.
|Hume ♂||Hume ♀||Elvaan ♂||Elvaan ♀||Tarutaru ♂||Tarutaru ♀||Mithra||Galka|
Face and Personality
There are eight faces for each race and sex combination, and two hair colors for each face. During Unlisted Qualities, Kuah Dakonsa provides a list of appearances for your fellow's race and sex. See Adventuring Fellow Faces for more information.
- Male: Sullen, Passionate, Calm and Collected, Serious, Childish, and Suave
- Female: Sisterly, Lively, Agreeable, Naive, Serious, and Domineering.
Leveling Up Your Adventuring Fellow
- Your fellow obtains experience points from defeating targets that Check as Incredibly Easy Prey or above at his or her level. The experience points gained by your fellow are based upon your fellow's level relative to the target, not your own level.
- At level 99, fellows' stats increase according to the player's average equipped Item Level.
- Per the May 14, 2015 update: "Adventuring Fellows have had the following attributes increased when their player is wearing item level equipment.
Accuracy / Magic Accuracy / Ranged Accuracy / Evasion / Magic Evasion / Defense"
- Your fellow stays active for a certain number of kills or a certain length of time, whichever comes first. The number/time increases based on your Adventuring Fellow Bond, starting at a minimum of 50 kills/90 minutes and increasing to a maximum of 100 kills/180 minutes (see Adventuring Fellow Bond below).
- You can call your Adventuring Fellow in most zones. To call him/her in Wings of the Goddess zones, use the Cavernous Maw in Sauromugue Champaign (S) for a cutscene unlocking the past for your fellow (only needs to be done once).
- Fellows are far more restricted than Alter egos. Currently you cannot call your Adventuring Fellow in the following prohibited areas:
- All cities, including those in the past
- All battlefield zones
- All ferries and airships, including Manaclipper and Phanauet Channel
- Restricted Regions:
Abdhaljs, Abyssea, Dynamis, Limbus, Lumoria, Ruins of Alzadaal, Tu'Lia
- Restricted Beastman Strongholds:
Ghelsba Outpost, Altar Room, Monastic Cavern, Qulun Dome, Arrapago Reef, Halvung, Mamook, Beadeaux (S), Castle Oztroja (S), Castle Zvahl Baileys (S), Castle Zvahl Keep (S), La Vaule (S)
- Assault-type dungeons:
Ilrusi Atoll, Lebros Cavern, Leujaoam Sanctum, Mamool Ja Training Grounds, Periqia, The Ashu Talif, Everbloom Hollow, Ghoyu's Reverie, Ruhotz Silvermines, Rala Waterways (U), Cirdas Caverns (U), Yorcia Weald (U), Outer Ra'Kaznar (U)
- Formerly level-capped areas from Chains of Promathia:
Pso'Xja, Sacrarium, Riverne - Site A01, Riverne - Site B01, Promyvion - Vahzl, Phomiuna Aqueducts
- Other restricted areas:
Beaucedine Glacier (S), Xarcabard (S), Dragon's Aery, Hall of Transference, Hall of the Gods
- Conditional Areas:
You can call your Adventuring Fellow in Promyvion - Dem, Promyvion - Holla, and Promyvion - Mea by examining the Rendezvous Point with an Emptiness Investigation Note in your possession. However, Signal Pearls and Tactics Pearls do not function in those areas. Fellows cannot enter Promyvion spires.
- You cannot call your Adventuring Fellow when you are in the middle of an NPC escort quest, but you can call him/her after the NPC disappears. If you are doing an NPC escort while in a party but you were not the one to activate it, you can call your NPC.
- You cannot call your Adventuring Fellow while under Level Sync or a Level Restriction.
- If you enter a town with your fellow, he or she is dismissed and does not reappear when you leave town; you must resummon your fellow after exiting town.
- You can talk to your fellow outside of town, and he/she will cycle through their stock responses, including a hint at how close he/she is to the next level. The message varies depending on your fellow's personality.
- To have your fellow obtain max EXP per kill, at level 30 you must kill targets at least 4 levels higher than your fellow, from levels 31 to 50 you must kill targets at least 3 higher than your fellow, from levels 51 to 55 you must kill targets at least 4 higher than your fellow, from levels 56 to 60 you must kill targets at least 5 higher than your fellow, and from levels 61+ you must kill targets at least 6 higher than your fellow.
|Target Level Difference||NPC Level 30||NPC Level 31-50||NPC Level 51-55||NPC Level 56-60||NPC Level 61+|
|+1||240 xp||250 exp||260 exp|
|+2||280 xp||300 exp||320 exp|
|+3||320 xp||400 exp||400 exp|
|+4||400 exp||500 exp||480 exp|
|+5||500 exp||560 xp|
- Here is a small list of examples that could be your targets.
- If your fellow is getting maximum exp per kill, the following chart indicates how many kills are needed to level up.
Fighting with your Adventuring Fellow
Experience Point Reduction
Capacity Point Reduction
Situations that cause your fellow to vanish
Targeting Your Fellow
New Signal Pearls
Adventuring Fellow Bond
NOTE: This table is out of date. A bond level of 10 but less than 15 results in an Adventuring Fellow being out for 2.5 hours (150 minutes).
NOTE: A new Adventuring Fellow can now get somewhere over 90 kills the first time the Signal Pearl is used.
NOTE: Time only counts while logged on. It's possible to summon your fellow, log out for as long as you want, and pick up where you left off when you log back on.
NOTE: The new maximum time a fully bonded fellow (bond level 120+) can stay out is 4 hours, with an additional 30 minutes (for 4.5 hours total) purchased using fellowship points.
NOTE: The new maximum time for a fellow ready for Mixed Signals is 3 hours 30 minutes (no purchased time extensions with fellowship points).
NOTE: The new maximum number of kills with a fully developed NPC is 200.
Adventuring Fellow Combat Styles
After your Adventuring Fellow Bond increases to 5, you can set your Adventuring Fellow to be one of three types at a Rendezvous Point.
When the bond level between your fellow and your character reaches 60+, (s)he can obtain three additional combat styles. Typically this occurs after completing the Chameleon Capers quest, but can also occur if (A) you have a bond level of 60+ and (B) any of the Tactics Manuals (Tactics Manual of Endurance, Tactics Manual of Fortitude, and Tactics Manual of Might) are where your fellow can access them (e.g., Mog Satchel, Mog Sack, Mog Case, or your Inventory). NOTE: Your fellow can not read a manual put up in your bazaar.
You can obtain these three manuals before even starting the Chameleon Capers quest by purchasing (bazaar), trading / borrowing them from other players or one of your other characters, or purchasing from Ajahkeem for Adventuring Fellow Points (as you will probably never use all your Fellow Points, it is recommended to purchase these with them rather than spending gil). These manuals expand your fellow's repertoire by giving them access to advanced melee jobs (e.g. PLD and MNK) and increasing the spells and intelligence of your healer. The three new combat styles and how they relate to the existing ones are:
Regardless of class, your NPC uses Provoke when your HP is red.
Adventuring Fellow Level Caps
Your Adventuring Fellow starts at level 30 and cannot gain levels higher than level 50 until completing the following Adventuring Fellow level cap (limit break) quests.
Obtaining the Tactics Pearl
For a walkthrough, see Tactics Pearl Quest.
Adventuring Fellow Points
Adventuring Fellow Weapons, Armor, and Headgear
Increasing your fellow's stats
Fellow Access to 'Wings of the Goddess' Areas
To be able to call your fellow in the past, examine the Cavernous Maw in Sauromugue Champaign (S) (K-9). You will get the cutscene "Stray Fellow". You only need to do this once, even if you get a new fellow.
Obtaining A New Adventuring Fellow
If you decide you want to change your fellow to another face type, race, sex, or size, you can restart after completing Mirror, Mirror.
Talk to Luto Mewrilah and choose "I want to quit this task" and verify you want to get rid of your current fellow. You will entirely lose your fellow and be able to complete the quests again, choosing a new fellow.
You will be required to return your Signal Pearl (and Tactics Pearl if you currently have one) to Luto to start over with a new fellow. If you have dropped your Signal Pearl you can get a new one by going to any Rendezvous Point and requesting a new one.