- Head to Batallia Downs (S) as your level 30+ job and go to (J-10) to enter the Eldieme Necropolis (S).
- In the Eldieme Necropolis (S), talk to the NPC named Erlene at (J-8). She will ask for 12 sheets of Vellum.
- After talking to Erlene, you can talk to Tucker in Crawlers' Nest (S) and flag a mini-quest to obtain one sheet of Vellum for every 12 rolanberries traded to him.
- Note that Tucker will only take up to four stacks of rolanberries per trade and will only trade with you a total of three times. This means that to get the stack of Vellum you will need to trade him four stacks of rolanberries three times.
- Go back to the Eldieme Necropolis (S) and trade 12 sheets of Vellum to Erlene for another cutscene.
- If you're not on BLM, RDM, SMN or BLU already, change jobs to one of those.
- Activate your Two Hour Ability: Azure Lore, Manafont, Chainspell, or Astral Flow and talk to Erlene for a third CS. You will receive the Grimoire and can now become a Scholar.
- You must zone in order for Scholar to appear in your Job levels list.
Note: Should you accidentally, in your rush to please Erlene, hand over your 12 sheets of vellum before changing to one of the jobs listed, your information will be saved, and once you return as a blm, blu, rdm or smn you will be given another opportunity to use your "2-hour" and achieve level 1 Scholar status by viewing the rest of the cut scene. 2 people from my linkshell alone have gone through this little snafu, so I suspect it may be quite common for those who do not have a mage or smn job high enough to start the quest. Good luck!
You must have a level 30 Job ~~ANY JOB~~ to flag this quest so if your RDM BLM SMN or BLU isn't level 30 Flag the first two cutscenes then come back with your selected mage or summoner job to get the final cutscene. I flagged the quest with level 31 monk came back with level 22 summoner used 2hr ability and was able to get Scholar job. Also, an easy way to unlock Scholar if you have a low level mage job that you need to use its 2 hour for: If you have signed up for a nation in the past, use the Campaign Arbitar to teleport back to Bastok (S), San d'Oria (S), or Windurst (S). Next, change jobs to RDM, BLM, SMN, or BLU and teleport back to The Eldieme Necropolis (S) and head to (J-8).
Note: A point of clarification, you do not have to be your mage job while turning in the Vellum. You can turn them in on a 30+ job, then come back to use your 2-hour for the last cutscene.
- Erlene - Eldieme Necropolis (S) (J-8)
- You have been given the chance to study the grimoire used by the famous Schultz School of Martial Theory. Your first task is to bring Erlene twelve sheets of Vellum.